What is the best time to buy a used car in 2023
Feb 24, 2023
Are you looking to get the best deal on a used car in 2023? This guide will let you in on the best tricks when it comes to getting the best deals possible on a car this year.
Getting a sweet deal on a vehicle in fantastic condition is every car owner’s dream. Low on mileage, well kept, got that new car smell but without the new car price tag. A feeling we all would love to have in 2023. We have collated a list of tips that’ll let you get the best car deals in the UK.
Should I buy a used car now or wait till later on in the year?
Used car prices tend to fluctuate market-wide throughout the year, so it’s worth keeping an eye out for trends throughout the year. If you need to buy a car now due to your old car breaking down, and are looking to finance your next vehicle then Stebbings will provide you the best value for money at any time of the year. With such a vast stock of used vehicles and vans, you’re guaranteed to find a price range, make, and model that works for your budget right now. When you buy your vehicle, we prepare it to the highest standards to ensure that you have a reliable drive for the upcoming years! If you are looking for a more budget-friendly solution, we are car finance specialists UK-wide, allowing us to give you the best solutions whether you have bad reading or not.Used Cars
When should I buy a used car in 2023
If we recall, in 2022 the auto industry saw some significant price increases for new cars at 6.3% as J.P. Morgan's research states due to supply shortages for materials that were needed to build those vehicles.
For those looking to buy used cars, the market is expecting to see a 10-20% drop in prices which makes 2023 the perfect year to buy a used car in impeccable condition. Below, we have highlighted the biggest opportunities 2023 will bring for you to purchase your car.
1. Buy A Used car after the release of new plates
- March - The release of the ‘23’ plate: So far, we know that March will be a huge month for the drop of the new ‘23’ car number plate. They are due to be released at the beginning of March, which will leave a lot of new car dealerships excited for the month. If you’re looking to make the most of this time, visit your local used car dealership mid-end of March, where they will have a stream of used vehicles, only a few years old from the part exchange processes.
- September - The release of the ‘73’ plate: taking the spotlight from the flashy new ‘23’ plates will be the ‘73’ plate that lands on the 1st of September, this time being a fantastic opportunity to bag a bargain on a used car in great condition.
*Shopping around for a vehicle just before the new plates are dropping can also bag you a bargain as used car dealerships will be eager to make space for the arriving stock.
2. Shop a used car at the end of a quarter
This really means being tactical about the first time you step foot in the showroom. Car supermarkets will usually have sales targets against each week/month/quarter, and if you walk into the dealership at the right time, the salesperson dealing with your inquiry will likely offer you a better deal on your future car by either dropping the price or adding in a couple of freebies. This also relates to quieter periods as dealerships are keen to have a steady sales influx on a weekly basis.
3. Keep an eye out for national discount events
This could be a generally known trick, but don’t shy away from finding the best deals around Spring sales, Summer Sale events, Black Friday sales, and the very well-known end-of-the-year bonanza. Dealerships will get on the national sales events wagon, so keep your eye out for new stock and new deals from Stebbings by signing up to our stock alerts.
Enter your details to receive new notification when new stock arrives in our showroom.
When is the best time to buy a convertible?
Looking ahead for the year, if you’re looking to roll around in a convertible during the upcoming summer months, the first point of thought will be to purchase a convertible when you’re most likely to use it, i.e. in the off-season. Usually, the end-of-the-year sale is a great time to get your hands on a good deal which is towards the end of December, and all the way through February, you’ll be more likely to find better deals than if you went shopping for a convertible in June when it’s in more demand.
When is the best time to buy a family car?
Dealerships see family cars in demand throughout the whole year ( even during school holiday times ). Our general advice is to shop for a used family car between October to December to get the end-of-the-year deals, however, your best bet is also to keep an eye out on the local dealerships near you. If they see an influx of stock and they seem to stay with the dealership for a while, you are more likely to get a good deal if you bring your observations to the table at your chosen dealership.
Top 3 tips on how to get the best deal on a used car:
- Be patient. If you can wait for a little longer to purchase your used car, it’s worth keeping an eye out for upcoming sale events at the dealership where you will be able to save more money on your vehicle in the long run.
- Be sure that you get add-ons with your vehicle purchase such as a free 3 months parts and labor warranty which we offer for all vehicles.
- Negotiate. By properly inspecting the car you’re taking on a test drive and comparing it to other similar vehicles available in different dealerships, you’ll be able to negotiate a budget-friendly price that’ll be feasible for you in the long run.